Thursday, December 24, 2009

Finally a successful gingerbread house!

The finished product!
Daniel can be such a goofball at times, and this expression definitely shows that!
Sarah doing a great job cleaning up all the extra candy...
No gingerbread house making would be complete without the gingerbread man apron from Aunt Suzie and her guys last Christmas!
What the house looked like before we started decorating it...

We have tried to make gingerbread houses in the past, and they have always been disastrous. We have always purchased the Wilton kits, and no matter how determined I was, they have always failed miserably! I could never get the royal icing to set up hard enough to hold the pieces together. The difference this year is the glue. My friend, Susan Smith--God bless her for this wonderful tip--told me to melt sugar and use that as the glue--and lo, and behold, it actually worked! I had found a wonderful recipe for gingerbread cookies a couple of weeks back so I used that along with the dimensions for a house "form" online. I'm still in shock that it actually worked! It started off as just Hannah and I working on it, but I pulled Daniel and Brent in to help smoosh the marshmallows for the roof shingles. It turned into a great family activity when Sarah joined in. Her main job was "clean up." She went around to every pile of candy and helped clean up that pile! It definitely turned into a fun time--very unlike previous attempts!

4 comments:

Marsel said...

Fun!

The Horaks said...

I love gingerbread houses! Glad to hear yours went so well this year! My sis-in-law (she's 12) and I made one from a kit this year. It was our second one. It turned out pretty well, but I would love to try a 'from scratch' version sometime!

Asim Shahzad said...

Very very nice post and very great information. This blog is very intresting and informative. keep it up dud!!!!!! very nice work

kevin21 said...

Nike High Heels

Monster High Celebrities

Jordan Heels

Nike Dunk Sb High Heels Black And Pink

High Heel