Tuesday, May 26, 2009

She's smarter than I think...

So I have a couple of things to say about Hannah in this post. I often neglect her and Daniel because Sarah provides more brilliant stories, but somethings happened this week that made me chuckle. Last week was the last week of school which included a special field day on campus. Hannah is definitely not into anything athletic whatsoever and spent most of the day bouncing in the inflatables and socializing (she is my girl!) Brent was able to get away from his office for a bit to spend some time out on the field as well and we both got such a kick out of this because it is so "her!"

The kids were playing the game where you have to pass a bucket of water over your head and fill the big bucket at the end of the line. The bucket also has holes in the bottom of it. You can see Hannah's thought process from the progression of these pictures

"You mean I have to take that bucket and put it over my head?!? Let me think about it..."
"Yikes! Not enough time to find a way to get out of this...think fast!"
"Hey, If I take it and hold it up high away from my head, it still counts! Mission accomplished--the bucket was passed and I stayed dry!"

Something else happened that took both Brent and me by surprise. Hannah had the highest GPA in her class! I have to say I was really surprised when her name was called at the awards assembly on Friday morning! I don't want to sound ugly in the least, but I have never thought academics were one of Hannah's strengths. She's a very quick study when we're working together in the kitchen or around the house, but apparently she's alot smarter than I give her credit for. Daniel received the same award for his class, but that didn't surprise me as much as Hannah. I'm thinking she lets Daniel take the lead when they are playing together and lets him do all the thinking (see...she is smarter than I give her credit for) So we don't see the intellectual side of her as much as we see the creative, crafty side of her. Thankfully, there is a bit of Brent mixed into her as well :-)

And please indulge me for one last moment to beam about her...most importantly, she received the "Esther Award." This is the character award for the year. That is so much more important to us than any academic award. Her teacher had some very kind things to say about her...I was in tears just thinking about any first grader being so sweet, but then to hear my baby's name made me weep! I mean...weep, like a baby, weep! I'm so thankful to see God's Word taking root in her heart and changing her life. I tend to focus on the negatives and all that I see that needs to change. Brent and I were both so thankful to be reminded that God is working and changing her in spite of our weaknesses as parents that sometimes sabotage that!

3 comments:

Marsel said...

Praise the Lord! ...and congratulatory hugs to Hannah, too! :)

The Horaks said...

I love your family! :)

David or Jill King said...

Congratulations, Hannah. Stay sweet (and smart)! =)