Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Something fun worth trying with the kiddos...

Saw this idea on TV the other day while I was nursing and thought I'd give it a try. The kids and I did it today and it really worked!

Roll out pizza dough to 1/4 inch and cut out circles (I used my widest mouth glass) and then cut out a smaller circle from the inside to make a donut shape. Deep fry in oil that is 350 degrees or so for 30-45 seconds on each side until a light golden brown. Dredge them with a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture or pop them in a paper bag with powdered sugar and give it a good shake.

After we did it by the recipe, I smooshed all the scraps into little donut hole shapes without rolling them out again. They turned out much better--the rolled out ones were just poofs of air, but the smooshed ones were more cakelike. The kids had fun smooshing them into different shapes and shaking them in the lunch bags of powdered sugar...I wasn't watching Daniel too carefully who was eating one while he was shaking his bag...I turned around to a cloud of powdered sugar all around Daniel and the kitchen floor--he was shaking it while it was open--he can be so much like his momma sometimes it's scary! Next time I do this, I won't bother with rolling them out and trying to make them look pretty...they're homemade donuts...who cares if they look like real donuts!

1 comment:

carissa said...

thanks for the recipe! Sounds delish!! I hope you have a great day. LOVE the pic of Brent holding his 2 girls! Sooo sweet. Thanks for letting me hold little Sarah on Sunday. She's soo pretty.