Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Messy Handwriting--A sign of Genious?

So I've heard it said that the smartest people often have really bad penmanship. If this is true, Daniel must be pure genious!

Yesterday Daniel came home after school, and I was checking his homework. I came to his handwriting paper that he had finished at school and quickly realized he'd be doing the entire thing over. He knew it wasn't acceptable--not even close, but was obviously less than thrilled by the prospect of doing the entire thing over. I took it as more of a character lesson about working carefully and doing your best more than actually being concerned that each letter be perfect (I mean come on...I do have a heart after all!) So after a few miutes of grumbling and then a few minutes of "correcting the grumbling" Daniel started in on the assigment--for the second time. I've always worked with him on his handwriting, but he's just never "got it" before. But something clicked this time. Perhaps it's a maturing thing, and he's just got more coordination and fine motor skill all of a sudden, or perhaps it was me standing over his shoulder...both can be pretty effective...but the light bulb came on (my favorite thing to see as a teacher--that moment when the kids "get it" and their face just lights up!) We were both literally beaming when we realized that Daniel figured out how to slant his letters and make them neatly, too! I know it sounds silly, but it's a big deal to both of us! He was so proud of himself. I jokingly said it was good enough to put on the blog...and Daniel loved the idea...so here it is...Daniel has made huge strides in his handwriting--even slanting! Yahoo!!! So does this mean his IQ has suddenly dropped many points because he writes neatly? hmmmmm...

Okay...for all you teachers out there, I know it's not perfect, but trust me...the light bulb has come on and pushed us light years ahead of his handwriting before! Seeing the look of accomplishment and pride in his work made the effort worth it all...like Mastercard...priceless!


5 comments:

Marsel said...

I know exactly what you mean by the light bulb -- isn't it awesome?!

Great job, Daniel -- that paper is definitely good enough to be on the blog!!!

The Horaks said...

I love the handwriting! And I especially love that smile on Daniel's face! It is definitely the look of accomplishment! :)

Jill King said...

ok, it's the 3rd grade teacher coming out in me...but that is definitely an A paper (remember, I was VERY stingey with A+'s - just ask my students!). That is great work on notebook paper this early in the year...my classes didn't start using NB paper until Christmas!! Daniel, I LOVED it when a boy had the neatest handwriting in the class because then I could use his example to help improve the girls handwriting (and the other boys, too!) Keep up the good work!

Silsbee said...

Thanks so much. Now we can show Heidi that other parents torture their children, too. Handwriting is an issue in our house also. Maybe your light bulb will shine to the second grade desk at our house. :)

Erin Neiner said...

GREAT JOB, DANIEL!!!! I am so particular about handwriting...I never sloppily sign all those credit card slips because in some weird way I believe it reflects a bit of who you are! :)

I feel your joy in the clicking thing, Deb! Just today, it finally clicked with Drew how to neatly color in his shapes. It was such a huge difference and I didn't have to keep reminding him. He had it on his own!! These are HUGE successes for us parents!!! :)