My kids have been with my in-laws for the last 2 weeks so I've been able to sneak away for some bike rides on my own in the evenings, and I'm loving it! The other day I road 6 miles! I know that's not really that far in the grand scheme of things, but realizing how out of shape I am...well, let's just say, I thought it was really, really far!
Riding by one's self on the back roads around here is great because it's totally quiet and gives you a lot of time to think and ponder. I've put together a list of just a few of the things I've discovered while on these get aways of mine:
1. It’s really a great thing to hear the clicking of your bike as you coast down the hills with the wind blowing through your hair…it’s not such a good thing to have to ride your bike back up said hills!
2. It’s really a great thing to have back country roads to ride on with nary a car around…it’s also a good thing to have wide open roads to swerve all over as your bike wobbles from side to side as you struggle up those hills!
3. It’s really a great thing to be able to get a few steps even while riding your bike on back country roads…it’s a better thing to get even more steps as you walk your bike up those back country hills!
4. It’s really a great thing to have wide open country roads to ride your bike on and take in the different aspects of nature…it’s not such a great thing to have a bear cross right in front of you and be so winded from riding up the afore mentioned hills that you can only utter a slight gasp!
5. It’s really a great thing to get extra protein in your diet while riding your bike on the back country roads…it’s not such a great thing to pick bugs out of your teeth for days!
I'll be sure to add more as my experiences broaden my perspective...right now I'm just trying to get over the fact that we're close to the middle of June, and I was really wishing I had remembered my jacket before I left for my ride tonight! Who would have guessed?!?