Sunday, January 04, 2009

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story This link is to a story about a new law taking effect this Feb 10. It really is quite amazing. I have seen another blog explain it this way--no more selling used clothes or toys anywhere unless they've been tested for lead. It's unclear how strictly this will be interpreted, but the ramifications could include no kid's clothes on ebay, craig's list, consignment shops Good Wills, garage sales! Anything not tested after Feb 10 will be considered toxic and sent to a land fill! While I appreciate the desire to protect my children from lead poisoning, this is going to kill our pocketbooks! Not being able to get things at Goodwill or garage sales is going to more than kill our budget! Just thought I'd get my shock out here and spread the news at the same time!

3 comments:

Krista said...

You could come up to Canada :) We're still allowed to buy used kids clothes - thank goodness!!

~ Grace ~ said...

I hadn't heard about this. I wonder how strictly this would be enforced? Have you heard anything else about it?

Erin Neiner said...

OH...I am on this soapbox right with you!!! ERRR! This is SO FRUSTRATING!!! The thing that gets me is the clothes in goodwill should supposedly already be "checked" as safe since they are second-hand, right???