Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Now he's all grown up!


Yesterday was Daniel's 7th birthday...I made him put church clothes on for all the birthday pictures and did my best to make him look presentable...but he still looked so little! But today I gave him a haircut and I'm amazed at how old he suddenly looks! He's got this strange collick (doesn't every little boy) at the crown of his head so I was trying to get it to stay down for church tonight. I stood him in front of the mirror in the bathroom, moussed him up, and took the blow dryer to him. And then the hairspray came out. I thought to myself, will he not be obsessing over his hair soon enough without any help from me?!? One of those sappy mom moments realizing that he's growing up whether I like it or not.

One of the things that Brent has reminded me of since the day he was born (Daniel, not Brent!) is that we are raising our children to be independent of us...to function as a godly adult without our help (someday!) I had a good cry as I realized that exact thing is happening....he's growing up...it won't be long and he'll be doing his dead level best to get his hair to stand up on end no matter how hard I try to get it to lay down! It's a sobering reality to think that 7 years have gone by...I can never get that time back (I can be really profound sometimes, heh?!?) But it's such a good reminder to be spending each moment I can instilling God's Word into my children and training them to depend on the Lord and not on me!

No comments: