Thursday, April 19, 2007

I miss signing!

One of the perks of interpreting for the deaf is that you really have to pay attention! I was reminded of this last night during the song part of our Wednesday evening prayer meeting. It's so easy to go on auto pilot and sing the words and never even pay attention to them. But when you're signing, you really have to focus on the words so you can sign their meaning.

I was struck by the words to "A Mighty Fortress is our God" as we sang them last night. I noticed how poetic they are and how easy it is to focus on this particular tune and skim right pass the wonderful message. I typed them out in stanza format and it was much easier to see the whole thought. So I've been meditating on them this morning and how our Lord really is our fortress that we can run to. Praise the Lord for the wonderful reminder that He is supreme and will quench the devil! Just a few musings from somewhere in the depths of a frazzled mom's mind! :-)

2 comments:

Erin Neiner said...

I was recently wondering if you still sign!? Are you teaching the kids to sign??

The Burlison Family said...

Deb,
I'm just catching up on your blog and, of course, this caught my attention. Yes, I agree!!! Signing truly makes those hymns come alive for me also. There are no deaf in our church, but I catch myself signing some songs as we sing. I do sign with very small movements, but I love to sign the music.