Friday, October 03, 2008

Random thoughts this morning...

Just a hodge podge of things to say this morning...

It's 28 degrees here--a very heavy frost is covering the ground. At first glance it looks like snow. It is way too early to be thinking about snow!

We had a group of students over last night and had a great bonfire! We made a firepit and roasted hotdogs and had smores. It was such a clear night, too! The best part? After I came back from taking the students back to campus, Brent built the fire back up and the 2 of us sat around the fire and talked for hours! And amazingly enough, I only thought about what I would do if a wild animal came out of the woods a couple of times. I would say after 4 years of living here, I'm adapting rather nicely to country life. And after such a great evening, I'm actually preferring the country life...now if we could only get the mall a bit closer!

Hannah got in the car Wednesday afternoon without her barrette...her bangs were in her face to the tip of her nose. We've been telling her that if she didn't take care of her long hair better, we would force her to get it cut. I reminded her of that (rather emphatically) on the way home, and much to my surprise she said she wanted it cut! I actually tried to talk her out of it, but she was adament! So Wednesday afternoon, I cut her hair and the struggle to grow her bangs out has ended. I like her hair both ways. She looks so much older than 6 with it long. Now, she looks like Dora again--the way every 6 year old dark-haired girl should look! And she loves it! She's bouncing all around swinging her hair back and forth. And loving the lack of tangles and the ease of doing it in the morning!

Hannah woke up yesterday morning with a strange rash on her face. It was only on her face. It was warm to the touch and almost scaly. I put some anti-itch medicine on it, and it seemed to change it. She cried when she found out she had to stay home from school. I'm not sure if it was because she couldn't show off her new hair do or if she really likes school that much! The rash got progressively better as the day wore on. The only thing I can think of that she had to eat that was different was Sunny Delight. She's never been allergic to anything before, but she drank quite a bit of Sunny D at dinner Wednesday night. Any thoughts? A couple of the students said they were allergic to anything that has Vitamin C added to it--Sunny D being one of them. Regular orange juice with natural Vitamin C is fine for them, but anything from concentrate or "fake" causes them to break out in a rash, too. Anyone ever seen anything like this before? I'm on my way to wake them up for school...hopefully it hasn't come back! I'll try to get a picture of her hair if her face isn't all splotchy!

Happy Friday! I'm curling up with a big ol' cup of coffee and having my devotions while I watch the frost melt away...

2 comments:

The Horaks said...

Your campfire sounds so wonderful! :) Can't wait to see Hannah's new haircut!

~ Grace ~ said...

Wow! 28 degrees?! I can't even fathom that right now since I've been in Texas so long.